Father's Day

One of my favorite activities is organizing my thoughts, or at least learning about new ways to try to do that.  I'm very drawn to things like bullet journaling, commonplace notebooks, and the whole second brain thing.  The concept of outsourcing the task of memory reminds me a bit of computing, where the cloud and various sorts of drives are used to relieve your PC from the burden of having to store everything on its hard drive.  

This is Father's Day, and it did not go as I had planned.  I had hoped to spend last night out with my friend Austin, and after church today, to go out and spend some time reading.  Then I was going to go home and spend some time with my family.  Last night it was pouring - so I decided to stay home, then our power cut out and I spent the night trying to sleep in a recliner because my C-Pap doesn't work without electricity.  I finally went to bed this morning when the power came back on, but that meant we missed church.  Determined to salvage what I could of the day I am not sitting in Starbucks and spending some time structuring my notebooks which are spread across OneNote and Notion. It's a little consolation gift I'm giving myself to ward of my general disappointment with how things have unfolded. I'm not a very resilient person. If I'm able to get some things done, I when I go home to spend some time with April and the kids.  

I first became aware of the concept of external memory for humans, reading Steven Johnson's book "Emergence, the Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software.  He talks about cities becoming a sort of external communal memory.  Because it has a logical structure which we all can understand, it becomes a coherent space we can all navigate instead of a jumble of random locations we have to search whenever we need something. 

Anyhow, this is morphing from an update into some kind of informative essay on memory, which was not my intention.  I'm going to stop writing now so I can get down to work for an hour or so and then maybe read a bit before I go home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello World! . . .Hello?

Erickson on Ecclesiology